The Brooklyn Cyclones, not surprisingly, are at it again. In 2015, the Class A Short-Season Mets affiliate staged a rollicking tribute to Saved By the Bell. This season, the nostalgia-inducing early-’90s sitcom in question is Full House. And why not? The San Francisco-set TGIF TV night staple is currently enjoying a renaissance via Netflix’s Fuller House reboot.
The Cyclones’ tribute to the Tanner family, taking place on July 9, is anchored by a John Stamos “real hair” Uncle Jesse bobblehead (2500 of which will be given away). Stamos used to have a lot more hair, but as you can see from the below tweet he has since “cut it out.” (Yeah, I know that was an Uncle Joey saying, but whatever).
— Brooklyn Cyclones (@BKCyclones) March 3, 2016
In times like these, I defer to the almighty fountain of information that is the press release.
The Full House Tribute Night will be held at MCU Park on Coney Island (The City by Sheepshead Bay)….The Cyclones cannot say with certainty that they will HAVE MERCY on their opponents that evening, the Rush Hour Renegades (Okay, their [sic] actually from Hudson Valley, but we’re going for a theme here in case you didn’t notice).
[T]he Cyclones will be wearing special on-field jerseys that will instantly take you back to those Friday nights in front of your TV watching “TGIF”. The uniforms will feature a foggy Golden Gate Bridge on the front and a design reminiscent of Uncle Jesse’s wallpaper, pink bunny and all, on the back.
The Cyclones aren’t the first Minor League Baseball team to don Full House jerseys, of course. That honor — or debasement, depending on your point of view — goes to the Frisco RoughRiders. (And, you oughta know, the ‘Riders actually brought Dave “Uncle Joey” Coulier out to the ballpark.)
- In honor of Uncle Jesse and Aunt Becky’s 25th Wedding Anniversary (has it really been that long?) the first 25 couples who were married in 1991 will be able to throw a first pitch prior to the game. They will also be invited onto the field prior to the start of post-game fireworks for a cheek-to-cheek dance to Uncle Jesse’s hit song “Forever.”
- Danny Tanner Clean-Off
- Uncle Jesse Air Guitar Contest
- No Hands Cereal Eating Competition – After Uncle Jesse’s motorcycle crash, he tries to eat a bowl of cereal with two broken arms, contestants will be asked to do the same (don’t worry, nobody’s arms will be broken during the process)
- Uncle Joey Race Around the Bases – Contestants will have to perform various tasks associated with Uncle Joey including dressing like Bullwinkle, playing the role of Popeye and saving Olive Oil, scoring a hockey goal and then racing home to wave the Canadian Flag.
- How Rude Pout Cam
- Kimmy Gibbler Stinky Feet Competition – Some poor soul on our staff will judge who has the most foul smelling hoofs in the ballpark.
- All broken bats will be presented by Ranger Joe’s sidekick Mr. Woodchuck.
- In honor of the Olsen Twins and Michelle Tanner, real life twins will be able to take advantage of 2-for-1 ticket deals at the box office.
Re: the “no-hands cereal eating contest”:
Expert Minor League observers (ok, me) will note that this isn’t the first time that the Cyclones held a sitcom-related cereal-eating competition at the ballpark. During 2014’s Seinfeld promo, fans competed to finish a bowl of cereal (including the milk).
Oh, man. Today has been one of those days. Minor League promotions are being announced at a fast and furious clip, and I can barely keep up with it all. Let’s start with the Frisco RoughRiders (recently rebranded and under new ownership) who have announced a “Full House” theme night on June 12:
— Frisco RoughRiders (@RidersBaseball) March 16, 2015
A bit more info, from the RoughRiders:
“Full House” themed videos, skits and games will entertain fans throughout the night. Additionally, the Riders will hold a contest where one lucky fan will win a free trip to San Francisco. A spectacular fireworks show will follow the game, accompanied by classic music from the ’90s.
You Oughta Know, however, that the RoughRiders are not the only team to be hosting “Uncle Joey” at the ballpark this season. The Richmond Flying Squirrels are doing the same on April 14. There was originally another person included in the below image, but I cut it out:
It is also worth noting that the Flying Squirrels have a “Many Faces of Robin Williams” theme jersey on their promo schedule, but no images of that have yet been released. Stay tuned.
Another notable promo that needs accompanying pics — pronto! — is the Charleston RiverDogs “Bobble Boobs” giveaway during August 22’s “Breast Cancer Awareness Night.” This item, which really perks up the team’s schedule, was announced this morning. I immediately got excited:
— Benjamin Hill (@bensbiz) March 16, 2015
No one seemed to find this joke funny, either, but per usual I am undeterred:
— Benjamin Hill (@bensbiz) March 16, 2015
The RiverDogs also announced a “Bill Murray Tune Squad” jersey giveaway on April 25. Murray, of course, is the team’s co-owner and “Director of Fun.”
In case you need a “Tune Squad” reference point (full disclosure: I did):
Meanwhile, the Lowell Spinners unveiled this. Maybe the evening will also include a free Buffet, featuring “Cheeseburgers in Paradise” and “Insufferable Drunk Baby Boomers”:
— Lowell Spinners (@LowellSpinners) March 16, 2015
And, not to be missed, the Spinners have also announced that a “Balking Dead” zombie bobblehead will be part of the promo calendar as well:
Finally, ICYMI (I don’t have time to type “In Case You Missed It”), the Jackson General unveiled these a-Baum-inable Wizard of Oz theme jerseys on Friday:
— Jackson Generals (@jacksongenerals) March 13, 2015
Ben’s Biz Blog: Still the original, still the best, still inexorably encroaching upon middle age while writing about some of the most ridiculous stuff imaginable.